How to Keep Safe During Marathon Season
It’s marathon season and we want to see you cross that finish line! Training for a marathon can be grueling and put your body at risk for numerous injuries. Any change in your training – an increase in distance, a new route or new running gear – can cause a foot, ankle or knee injury.
Five tips to keep you safe and speedy:
1. Get your gear right. Look for a shoe that fits your foot’s personal shape and curve. A pair of running shoes is usually thought to be safe and efficient until they hit the 400-500 mile mark. Try regularly running in the shoes and clothes you plan to wear on the day of the race so you are not surprised by any unexpected discomfort.
2. If an injury does occur during your training, be sure to allow yourself adequate time to recover before returning to running. Skipping your “recovery phase” is a sure guarantee that your injury will negatively impact your race experience. You should not run while experiencing swelling or severe pain. Instead, make an appointment with a doctor who can safely guide you back into training.
3. Always stretch before running. Allowing yourself adequate time to stretch and warm up your muscles can reduce your risk for various injuries. It’s important that you prepare your muscles for the demand running will place on them.
4. The tapering period of training for a marathon is crucial to your race performance. This is the 20 or so days prior to a marathon when your body should be allowed ample rest, and runs should be cut shorter. During this time your body regains the energy it will need to complete the race.
5. Choose your surface wisely. The surface on which you run can affect your body in several different ways. Running on sand puts you at risk for an Achilles tendon injury. Rocky or uneven ground raises your risk of sprains or muscle tears. Surfaces like grass that absorb shock are the safest and most comfortable surfaces on which to run.
Call Dr. Matthew T. Boes, orthopaedic surgeon today!
I lately came across your weblog and have been reading along. I thought I could leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed scaning what you all need to say
If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Greatest Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which 1 sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile far more. Then you will know which is proper for you.
This is a correct blog for would like to locate out about this subject. You realize a whole lot its almost challenging to argue along (not that I personally would want…HaHa). You actually put the latest spin with a topic thats been discussed for a long time. Fantastic stuff, just great!
Good site! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day!
In the event you tow a definite caravan nor van movie trailer your entire family pretty soon get exposed to the down sides towards preventing best securely region. awnings
I enjoy blogging when it’s for or about something I believe in. I also read news blogs often and uncover that it makes me feel a lot more intelligent every time I read them. I also feel like I am a pretty good person who tries to treat others with respect, no matter what their view is. You can find some real haters out there. Thanks once more. I learned a couple of issues about blogging. I will undoubtedly put your internet site on my speed dial.