How to Keep Safe During Marathon Season
It’s marathon season and we want to see you cross that finish line! Training for a marathon can be grueling and put your body at risk for numerous injuries. Any change in your training – an increase in distance, a new route or new running gear – can cause a foot, ankle or knee injury.
Five tips to keep you safe and speedy:
1. Get your gear right. Look for a shoe that fits your foot’s personal shape and curve. A pair of running shoes is usually thought to be safe and efficient until they hit the 400-500 mile mark. Try regularly running in the shoes and clothes you plan to wear on the day of the race so you are not surprised by any unexpected discomfort.
2. If an injury does occur during your training, be sure to allow yourself adequate time to recover before returning to running. Skipping your “recovery phase” is a sure guarantee that your injury will negatively impact your race experience. You should not run while experiencing swelling or severe pain. Instead, make an appointment with a doctor who can safely guide you back into training.
3. Always stretch before running. Allowing yourself adequate time to stretch and warm up your muscles can reduce your risk for various injuries. It’s important that you prepare your muscles for the demand running will place on them.
4. The tapering period of training for a marathon is crucial to your race performance. This is the 20 or so days prior to a marathon when your body should be allowed ample rest, and runs should be cut shorter. During this time your body regains the energy it will need to complete the race.
5. Choose your surface wisely. The surface on which you run can affect your body in several different ways. Running on sand puts you at risk for an Achilles tendon injury. Rocky or uneven ground raises your risk of sprains or muscle tears. Surfaces like grass that absorb shock are the safest and most comfortable surfaces on which to run.
Call Dr. Matthew T. Boes, orthopaedic surgeon today!
bookmarked!!, I like your blog!
stosunek przerywany pajacu
I blog frequently and I really thank you for your information. This great article has truly peaked my interest. I will take a note of your site and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.
This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me. Thank you!
Hello! I could have sworn I’ve visited this site before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly pleased I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back often!
Hiya! I simply pdodusys would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the good info you have got here on this post. I might be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.
Thanks for your recommendations on this blog pdodusys. Just one thing I would wish to say is the fact that purchasing electronics items over the Internet is not something new. In truth, in the past ten years alone, the market for online electronic devices has grown noticeably. Today, you can get practically any kind of electronic gizmo and devices on the Internet, from cameras in addition to camcorders to computer components and game playing consoles.
Good article. I definitely appreciate this site. Thanks!
This web site certainly has all the info I wanted about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.
Everything is very open with a clear clarification of the issues. It was definitely informative. Your site is very useful. Many thanks for sharing!
I absolutely love your website.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you build this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m planning to create my very own site and would love to find out where you got this from or what the theme is named. Appreciate it!
Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve visited this website before but after looking at a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m certainly happy I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!
stosunek przerywany pajacu
Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Many thanks, However I am having difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why I can’t join it. Is there anybody else getting similar RSS problems? Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!
Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Many thanks for supplying this info.