Reach For It: Tips For Stretching
October 16, 2013
Stretching before and after is supposed to keep you safe during a workout. A solid stretching routine can increase your range of motion, reduce your risk of muscle injury and decrease pressure in your joints, which often is the culprit in joint and muscle pain. When done properly, stretching can significantly compliment your workout and improve your function! Keep these tips in mind to get the most out of your stretching routine:
- Mild discomfort, not wild discomfort- If you’re experiencing actual pain when stretching, you are pushing it too far. Try loosening the stretch and holding it there until it feels comfortable. Then you can deepen it again.
- Warm it up first- You may have been told that you should stretch before engaging in any form of exercise. This isn’t entirely true; your muscles can benefit from a very mild warm-up prior stretching. Warm muscles are more limber and malleable. If you’re heading out for a run, start off with a light jog for about 5 minutes, then begin stretching.
- Lean, don’t bounce- Never bounce in a stretch. Instead, think of a stretch as one fluid motion.
- Hold that pose- For large muscle groups (i.e., core, thighs, trunk), holding the stretch for 30 seconds has been shown in multiple studies to be more effective for large muscle groups than short bursts of stretching.
- Breathe throughout- A natural response to stretching is to hold your breath. It can make you feel more in control or may be a means of working through the discomfort that deep stretches sometimes bring. No matter how tempted you are, you should focus on keeping your breaths deep and regular. You’ll keep oxygen flowing to your muscles, allowing you to stretch more efficiently.
If you’re experienced any sort of orthopaedic injury call Dr. Matthew T. Boes orthopaedic surgeon today and schedule an appointment.
Hey there, You’ve done tyidosnns a great job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.
Perfect piece of work you have done, this internet web site is actually cool with excellent info.
Hey! Wonderful post! Please do tell us when we can see a follow up!
Perfectly indited content , thanks for selective info .
Yay google is my king helped me to find this wonderful site ! .
Wow, superb weblog structure! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging glance straightforward. The total appear of your web site is superb, neatly as the content material material!
This internet web site is usually a walk-through its the info you wished about this and didn’t know who ought to. Glimpse here, and you will definitely discover it.
Outstanding post, I conceive people should larn a lot from this weblog its extremely user friendly .
Thank you for generating the honest attempt to discuss this. I feel very strong about it and would like to learn far more. If it is OK, as you gain extra in depth understanding, might you mind adding more articles quite related to this 1 with more info? It would be extraordinarily beneficial and valuable for me and my buddies.
The electronic cigarette makes use of a battery and a small heating aspect the vaporize the e-liquid. This vapor can then be inhaled and exhaled